Custom Search
can you translate español: Irregular Conjugations

Pages

Search This Blog

Saturday 7 August 2010

Irregular Conjugations

Some verbs have vowel changes in the present tense for all forms except first and second person plural.  After dropping the endings (-ar, -er, or -ir), the e of the last syllable changes to ie, and o of the last syllable changes to ue.  Some -ir verbs change the e to i, while verbs ending in -uir change the i to y for all forms except first and second plural.
e to ie o to ue e to i ui to uy
pensar - to think
querer - to want, like, love
cerrar - to close
comenzar - to begin
despertar - to awaken
empezar - to begin
entender - to understand
perder - to lose
preferir - to prefer
sentar - to seat
sentir - to regret, feel
contar - to count
poder - to be able
costar - to cost
dormir - to sleep
encontrar - to find, meet
jugar - to play
morir - to die
mostrar - to show
volar - to fly
volver - to return

pedir - to ask (for)
repetir - to repeat
seguir - to follow
servir - to serve
vestir - to dress





construir - to build
pensar contar pedir construir
pienso
piensas
piensa
pensamos
pensáis
piensan
cuento
cuentas
cuenta
contamos
contáis
cuentan
pido
pides
pide
pedimos
pedís
piden
construyo
construyes
contruye
construimos
construís
construyen
A few other verbs are irregular only in the first person singular form. The rest of the forms follow the regular pattern:
traer to carry traigo I carry
salir to go out salgo I go out
hacer to do hago I do
saber to know I know
dar to give doy I give
ver to see veo I see
tener to have tengo I have
poner to put pongo I put
decir to say digo I say
valer to be worth valgo I am worth
caer to fall caigo I fall
conocer to know conozco I know
deducir to deduce deduzco I deduce
Generally, verbs that end in -cer and -cir add z before the first person singular ending.

No comments:

Post a Comment